Educational policy, research-driven improvements to education and training organizations, with emphasis on career technical education, high school reform, adolescent literacy, and career planning systems for high school and colleges.
October 2001 through May 2005
Deputy Assistant Secretary,
U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC
Office of Vocational and Adult Education
- Led the U.S. Department of Education initiative on high schools, Preparing America's Future.
- Was responsible for policy development and outreach on high school reform, vocational-technical education, and adult basic skills-literacy education.
- Organized and led multiple national and regional summits involving state education teams, and urban school districts leadership teams.
- Conceived and led the "Labor Market Responsiveness" project identifying workforce and economic development principles for community colleges.
- Developed and led planning process for all OVAE discretionary projects.
- Conducted extensive outreach to education, business and government constituencies through public speaking, writing and internet web casts.
2000 - 2001
Senior Vice President, Workforce Development, National Alliance of Business, Washington, DC
Responsible for policy analysis, public speaking and writing on youth development, postsecondary education and workforce development issues.
1999 - 2000
Executive Director, 21st Century Workforce Commission, Washington, DC
Led the work of a bipartisan commission, authorized by the Workforce Investment Act, to study shortages in information technology workforce. Produced report "A Nation of Opportunity."
1997 - 1999
Horizon Consulting Services, Columbia, Maryland
Independent federal education policy consultant. Clients included: Information Technology Association of American, New American Schools, National School Boards Association, National Institute for Literacy.
Director of Policy Development and Outreach, Republican Staff, Committee on Education and the Workforce, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, DC
1988 - 1994
Legislative Analyst, U.S. Department of Education, Office of Legislation and Congressional Affairs, Washington, DC
Political appointments, Administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush
1987 - 1988
Legislative Assistant, U.S. Representative Connie Mack (R-FL), Washington, DC
1986 - 1987
Legislative Assistant, U.S. Representative Mickey Edwards (R-OK), Washington, DC
Legislative Correspondent, U.S. Representative Dick Cheney (R-WY), Washington, DC
- University of Maryland, University College
MBA, May 2005
- University of Maryland, College Park
Bachelors of Arts, Telecommunications
- "Redesigning the American High School; Strengthening a New Vision for
the American High School through the Experiences and Resources of Career and Technical Education," for the Association of Career and Technical Education, January 2006.
- "Where are the Good Jobs?," Chapter 2 of "Career Pathways; Education with a Purpose," edited by Dan Hull, chapter co-authored by Hans Meeder and James R. Couch, 2005.
- "Aligning Career Pathways with Federal and State Policies and Standards,: Chapter 4 of "Career Pathways; Education with a Purpose," edited by Dan Hull, chapter co-authored by Hans Meeder and Jean C. Stevens, 2005.
- "High School Reform: Creating Opportunities for Career and Technical Education," speech to the Colorado Association of Career Technical Education, Summer 2005
- "Preparing America's Future: The Carl D. Perkins Secondary and Technical Education Excellence Act of 2004." Bush Administration proposal for reauthorization of the Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act. May 2004.
- "Preparing America's Future; The Adult Basic and Literacy Education Act." Administration proposal for reauthorization of Adult Education and Family Literacy Act. May 2003.
- "A Nation of Opportunity: Building America's 21st Century Workforce." 21st Century Workforce Commission. June 2000
- "Building on Success. Next Steps for Education Policy in Texas." Co-authored with Douglas Carnine. April 1999.
- "An Overview of Research on Reading for Adults and Children." Prepared for the National Institute for Literacy. April 1999.
- "Perspectives on the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, and math-science-technology education." Prepared for the Board of Directors of the Triangle Coalition. April 7, 1999.
- "The Education Research Review Initiative (ERRI)" co-authored with Douglas Carnine. March 1999.
- "Linking Accountability for Student Achievement with Greater Local Control. A common sense approach for K-12 education funding." Report to the National School Boards Association. January 1999.
- "Building a Knowledge Base for Effective Teaching and Learning." Presentation to the National Education Research Planning and Priorities board, January 15, 1999. Co-authored with Douglas Carnine.
- "Reading Research into Practice," co-authored with Douglas Carnine. Education Week, September 3, 1997.